Raggedy News

Sunday, August 9, 2009

What is Primitive?

I get this question quite often whenever I mention my website 'Prim-n-Raggedy'.

I have to admit I sometimes find it difficult to explain to folks what Primitive is and why I like things to look old and grubby.
I mean....., why would anyone want something old looking when you can easily buy something that looks new?
Primitive to me is a piece of history, during the times when people didn't have money to buy new things and therefore had to make do with what they already had.
Torn clothes and dolls were patched back together, quilts were sewn together using scraps of fabric, wooden toys were handcrafted from broken furniture and household items looked worn and old.

Today artisans and designers go out of their way to make things look like they did back in the days of yesteryear. To accomplish this, and get the right look can be challenging, but nether less very satisfying.

Why do I love the look of yesteryear?
Because I feel the love, warmth and memories with each simple piece.
But most of all because it feels like home.

2 comments:

  1. pfffttt!! i can't believe you twitter, and i can't believe you miss Kyle and Jackie O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey... twitter is .... ok... and i liked listening to Kyle and jackie O. :)

    ReplyDelete